Most of us might have seen “aircel” endorsing “Save our Tigers” effort. And many of my friends – in office and across facebook- asked that how can such online effort can save tigers?
During my third (second in a single year) trip to Kanha National Park , Sudipto led up this topic with us (Dhiren, Mabhi, ooty and me ). We really had a good debate and I would like to share some points that came out of that discussion.
How can we save Tigers?
- Visit National Park: Poachers are mostly poor tribal leaving near jungle and kill Tiger for very small amount of money. Whenever we go for safari to any tiger reserve or national park, through one way or another we are actually supporting the local economy. So many times we see that a simple jackets or hats in such parks are sold at high price, but what we miss to see is that this money will be used for local population. And when local population is earning good, no one will kill Tiger just for Rs 4000 or Rs 5000
- Buy local made: As I mentioned, buying local made item will just cost some Rs1000 more on your pocket but it will buy bread and butter for many people who otherwise would have been killing tiger for small money.
- Awareness: Now you know that visiting national park and buying local made item can help saving tiger. But don’t keep this information just with you. Spread it – through mails, blogs, posters or anything that you can do.
- Mount pressure on Government: Once citizen is aware of importance of tiger and tiger reserve, more and more people will visit National Park to admire our national animal. Such mass public awareness mounts an indirect pressure on government. When government knows that the world is watching them, it keeps them on their toes. Government then makes many tiger friendly policies and laws.
- Shoot Them!: Yes – Shoot them! – But with your camera lenses. Let the world knows that it is more adventurous to shoot tiger – especially when they hunting or mating – then buying a dead stuffed tiger.
- Donate: If you cannot go to a safari or don’t have time to write a blog or aware people, but still love to see tiger conserved so that your children and grand-children can see them in their time, then don’t be disappointed. You can still contribute by donating money. WWF-India is well known organization that accept donation and work toward saving tigers. Click here to donate!
- Link this blog! Yes – Linking this blog to your facebook, orkut, Gtalk or twitter updates will not only aware your friend but also friend of your friend and friends of their friends. Let the virus of “loving tigers” be spread!
Please comment and let me know if you have any more suggestion or view toward saving tigers. I will surely update this blog with your inputs.